Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Voice of the Fuzzy Pants

On rare occasion I get funky about exercise and that voice in my head says, "Wouldn't you rather just put your jammies on sit on your butt and rest?"  This past week I said yes to that voice.  I had a good reason, an injury, that was making it easy for me to listen to that voice, thinking I was doing the right thing by resting it and taking it easy.  So I did, and it was okay for a bit, until Monday night, when the voice showed up again, "Wouldn't you rather just put your jammies on..." but this time another voice showed up.  (By this time I am sure you are starting to worry about the voices in my head, but don't).

The new voice was trying hard, struggling to be heard.  "Just go to class, you will feel better afterward, and if you don't go you will feel guilty and bad all week."  "You can just take it easy in class and make sure you don't hurt yourself."  Hmmm...  "Jammies!!" one voice shouted.  "Get your uniform on!" the other one protested.

So I actually went and changed into my jammies.  Ahhhh, fuzzy pants, you feel so good.  One more night of sitting on my butt won't hurt.  But there was something wrong...something inside of me that felt so bad about that decision wasn't letting it go.  Normally once I actually get the fuzzy pants on, that is it, done, no matter what voices appear at that point, they already lost.  But this time, something else fought hard.  So I went back into the bedroom and despite the nagging, "Ugh" feeling I had, I took off the pants and put on my uniform.  Through the continued thoughts of my couch, I put on my socks and tied up my shoes, and grabbed my keys and walked out the door.  I started the car and the voice interrupted "It's not too late, go back, the fuzzy pants are waiting!"

Class was spectacular, as usual.  My injury felt much better, especially after I got going, warmed up and the blood was flowing.  Helicopter kicks were feeling good.  And even better than that, I was smiling.  On the outside and the inside.  Whoever was fighting for me was victorious.  Thank goodness.  I like that girl.  

I know that it is okay to rest, especially if I have been injured and am in pain.  I know how important rest is to healing and recharging yourself.  But this was different.  This was that way we get that is no good for us, keeps us from reaching our goals, keeps us from acting in a way that best serves the big picture we have for our health and happiness.  Knowing I can overcome that voice, even when it overpowers all my other thoughts, by taking some action and "doing" despite what it says, is key.  The fuzzy pants will have to wait, I need some taekwondo.

No comments: